TiRO Pilot-Scale Production Facility
Date: February 2013 - January 2014
Client: Coogee Energy, CSIRO Division of Process Science and Engineering
Status: Stage 1 commissioned in Aug 2013, and Stage 2 commissioned in Dec 2013. On-going developement as required during normal operation of a Pilot Plant. The TiRO Pilot-Scale Facility was a Finalist in the 2013 PACE Zenith Awards in the category of Mining, Minerals and Exploration.
Project Description: The TiRO process is a new process for the production of Titanium metal, originally conceived by the CSIRO Division of Process Science and Engineering, and co-developed with Coogee Chemicals as a commercial partner since 2008. The first commercial 24/7 pilot-scale production facility has been constructed in Melbourne, with ICON Technologies as the instrumentation system integrators.
TiRO is an advanced continuous feed process that uses a fluidized bed reactor and vacuum sublimation chamber to produce Titanium powder under an Argon atmosphere. The instrumentation system includes 12 distributed IO Chasses/Controllers, over 400 analog, digital, and motion IO points, and a mix of conventional PID and custom control logic.
The instrumentation system meets the major operational targets for the facility:
- To continue to perform basic research on the TiRO process;
- To test full commercial scale implementations of advanced manufacturing equipment and techniques; and
- To run as a 24/7 production facility capable of producing quality controlled product in quantities suitable to supply as test samples to target customers,
while also addressing the different, and often opposing, needs of the two major stakeholder groups:
- The research scientists and engineers investigating the process; and
- The process engineers charged with running a controlled commercial facility.
Find Out More: You can found out more about the advantages of the unique TiRO process at the CSIRO Future Manufacturing Flagship website.